Have you ever noticed that body builders and fitness enthusiasts are crazy about peanuts, peanut butter and other peanut containing snacks? Is there something more than the addicting taste of peanuts that makes it so powerful when it comes to being active and staying fit? This article will highlight the 5 main reason why Peanuts should be included in your diet if you want to stay fit.
- Protein: Peanuts have more protein (7g/oz) than any other nuts including almonds (6g/oz), pistachios (6g/oz) and pecans (3g/oz). But more importantly, peanuts are a good source of BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids) including Leucine. This Amino Acid is considered the most important when it comes to muscle building and recovery. Peanuts, being a good source of Leucine makes them a powerful food for being physically active and fit.
- Fiber: Peanuts are a good source of fiber (8.5g/100g) contributing to about 1/3 of the recommended fiber for women or ¼ for men. Fiber contributes to staying fit in two ways a) by suppressing appetite (feeling full longer) so that reduces overeating and b) by slowing the breakdown of carbohydrates so they are used for energy and less stored as fat.
- Low Carbs: Peanuts are naturally low in net carbs (4g/1oz) and therefore great for a keto diet. They are also great for anyone looking to stay fit because the carbs in peanuts are also low Glycemic. This means they get digested slowly in the gut and released for energy, and less likely to be stored as fat.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Peanuts are good source of vitamins and minerals including folate, Vit E, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc and Copper. One particular mineral, Magnesium, should be of particular interest to the fitness enthusiast. The reason is because this mineral is necessary in the process of muscle contraction and relaxation that occurs during exercise. Therefore, important for the stimulation of muscle growth.
- Sustainability: what does sustainability has to do with fitness? Part of living a healthy and active life is breathing clean air and taking care of the environment we live in. Peanuts are an eco-friendly crop because it does not damage the air, water, or land. It is self-fertilizing and does not require as much water as other crops to grow, and It has a low carbon footprint.
Dr Juan Salinas
Dr Juan is a PhD in Food Science and Certified Sports & Exercise Nutritionist who started his own Nutrition Snack Company (Perfect Life Nutrition LLC dba Pnuff) to create snacks that are truly nutritionally balanced for the mainstream active consumer. He created P-nuff Crunch, the first brand of Baked Peanut Puff Snacks that are truly delicious and nutritious. He lives in N.J. where he runs the operations of his company. When he is not working, you can find him training at the gym or participating on an outdoor sport. He enjoys creating innovative nutritious snacks and testing them on his own active routines. Follow him on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @juanpnuff and @pnuffcrunch